Our School – Information for Parents & Pupils – Election of Parents to the Board of Governors
The term of office of Parent Governors expires on 31 January 2018. In accordance with the Education & Libraries (NI) Order an election is to be held to determine the three parents who will hold office from 1 February 2018.
Both parents/guardians of each pupil attending the School are entitled to nominate candidates, to vote and stand for election.
Nomination forms may be downloaded by clicking on this link or a may be obtained from the Main School General Office or the Secretary, Ben Madigan Preparatory Department.
As you will note nomination forms must be returned to me not later than 3:30pm on 17 November 2017. Please put your nomination paper in a sealed envelope and address ‘FAO Head of Finance & Corporate Services’ and leave with the Main School General Office.
It may be necessary to hold a Ballot if there are more nominations received than places to be filled.
HEAD OF FINANCE & CORPORATE SERVICES
The following information outlines details regarding the Election of Parent Governors.
THE ELECTION OF PARENT GOVERNORS
- The Education & Libraries Order provides for the election of Parents to the Governing Body of the School.
- The Board of Governors is constituted as follows:
- 15 Representative Governors elected by members of the Academy, one of whom shall be a parent;
- 6 Governors nominated by the Head of the Department of Education;
- 3 Governors elected by Teachers;
- 3 Governors elected by Parents
plus the Principal and Head of Finance & Corporate Services as non-voting members of the Board.
- Those so elected will serve for a four year term unless the election is to cover a casual vacancy in which case the person elected shall hold office only so long as the person in whose place he/she has been elected held the same.
- On taking up office, new Governors will be required to sign a Declaration of Acceptance of Membership of the Board.
- All Governors will be subject to the basic rule of Declared Interest. Any member of the Board who has, or might have, a personal interest, direct or indirect, in any matter under consideration or discussion must at once declare his or her interest to the Warden, Vice-Warden or Chairman and unless the Warden, Vice-Warden or Chairman otherwise directs, immediately leave the meeting during such consideration or discussion of such a matter.
- Nominations for election of Parent Governors are now invited on the nomination form which should be returned to me not later than 3:30pm on 17th NOVEMBER 2017.
- The election will be conducted electronically, with a hard copy nomination form required to be left with the school by the date noted above. If there are more nominations than places to be filled a ballot will be held.
- All Governors are required to comply with the provisions in the School’s Scheme of Management relating to the procedures and functions of the Board of Governors.