Heath & Social Care
About Heath & Social Care A Level
Health and Social Care is the study of health and well-being. Students learn about the key stages of physical and emotional development and begin to understand the profound influence relationships and life events can have on an individual’s health. Students also examine the factors that influence a person’s self-concept and how people react to change in their lives.
Many students with qualifications in Health and Social Care go on to have interesting and successful careers in childcare, nursing, midwifery, social work, teaching, paramedics, counselling and health-visiting.
The aims of this A Level specification is to encourage students to:
- develop their interest in health, social care and early years
- draw together different areas of knowledge, skills and understanding
- develop higher order thinking skills, creative thinking and problem-solving, where appropriate
- apply their skills to work-related scenarios
- work with others in groups
- carry out research and present their findings in different formats
- develop advanced study skills that help them prepare for third level education
- develop knowledge and understanding relevant to degrees in nursing, allied health professions, social sciences, social policy, social work and early years
- develop skills, aptitudes and values for employment in the health, social care and early years sectors
- provide extended responses and evidence of quality of written communication
- demonstrate, through internal and external assessments, that they understand and can apply key concepts
Pupils follow the CCEA specification.