BELFAST ROYAL ACADEMY’S DRAMA DEPARTMENT WILL BE AFFILIATED WITH THE LYRIC THEATRE’S CREATIVE LEARNING DEPARTMENT FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2018-19.
Key Stage 3
All pupils study Drama in Form 2 and are introduced to the skills and techniques integral to the study of the subject. At present Drama is available as an option at Form 3 and the emphasis is on improvisation, role play and teamwork. Some script work is also covered, including the study of Our Day Out.
Pupils follow the CCEA course which entails 60% coursework. Their practical work is split into two separate tasks: devised performance, and scripted performance. The GCSE examination paper accounts for the remaining 40% of the mark and focuses on the study of a set text, Arthur Miller’s The Crucible.
Pupils follow the AQA specification for AS and A Level. Work studied at AS Level includes The Servant of Two Masters by Carlo Goldoni as well as the key features of a range of theatre practitioners and companies including Stanislavski, Brecht and Bruiser.
The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams is studied alongside a chosen theatre style for the practical element. At both AS and A Level pupils will be required to attend productions and analyse their effectiveness.